Talented act, Dr Sid, was recently
interviewed by Samuel Abulude of
Leadership.Ng, where he talked
about his music career, starting a
label amongst other things.
Read excerpts from the interview:
It has been two years since your
last album, are we expecting an
album launch this year?
As of this moment there is no plan
to release an album till 2017. It
might change tomorrow. But as of
right now there is plan to release
any album. But I do have some
singles I want to release this year.
2016 has been riddled with a
number of controversies. How
has the music industry fared
since the beginning of the year?
Honestly, I don’t talk about
controversies. I can talk about the
growth in the industry. That is the
topic I am very interested in.
Talking about the industry is like a
child. And as a child, it might
sometimes have challenges
growing. The industry has
witnessed its rise, its stagnation
and its peak. For me, I am happy
to see that Nigerian music is
branching out into different
genres. Before the music industry
didn’t really have genres. It was
always about what was bumping in
the clubs. Talented artistes like
Timi Dakolo, Darey Art Alade, Bez
have not been fully appreciated
the way they should have been for
the kind of music they have put
out. They and some others
pioneered the evolution of new
genres. And with the like of Simi,
Falz, Adekunle Gold, coming out
with totally different sounds and
pushing boundaries, the industry
has witnessed tremendous growth.
It is nice to see that people can
now embrace other genres of
music. And this has given room for
a surge of creativity. The music
industry was kind of squeezed into
a single genre and that limited
growth and creativity. I believe
that music is art and art forms
should not be put in boxes.
In spite of the lack of structure,
what in your opinion is holding
the Nigerian music industry?
I think Nigerians and Nigerian
artistes are a very resourceful
people. We have been able to
manage the situation at hand. We
have, like Beyonce sang, been able
to make lemonade with our lemon.
And we are making some very
serious lemonades these days. And
what is left for us to bottle and
package them to the world and
more profitably.
Talking about loyalty, you are
the only artiste of the default
MoHits records, who is in Mavin
records. Why did you decide to
stick with Don Jazzy?
Don Jazzy and I are great friends.
We have always had a very good
working relationship. When we are
in studio we create together. It was
really natural. Don Jazzy is the
person I have great bond, respect
and relationship with. When the
rumours came out I was the one
that broke up MoHits Records
there was really no need to talk
then. It is easy to point accusing
fingers or blame on someone. But
people need to really get the facts
right. And honestly thinking about
it now, I might have had a part to
play in the whole. That is the
honest truth.
What are you future plans, do
you intend to establish yourself
some time?
People keep asking me this
question. Because Lil Kesh has
started a record label and now
people think I should. Well, the
truth is most artistes, who start
record labels, want to be
independent. And the question is
why do they want to be
independent? If you are in a
situation that works, if every of
your needs are met, if you have a
great boss, your bank account is
credited timely, everything is fine,
why would you want to leave? You
might say, I want to have my own
label. But that is not based on
functionality. A record label should
not be something you want to
possess. It is business. And it is
important to say that it is not beans
[easy] to have a record label. It is
not beans to take care of yourself,
let alone other people. Being in
Mavin records has not hindered
my progress in anyway; it has not
stopped the money in my bank
account. I give the record label
what is due to it and the record
label does its part. In the end, it is
business. It is a partnership.
Are you saying you are not
leaving Mavin records any time
soon?
I do not have a problem with
anyone opening their own label. If
it works for them fine. I am not
going to put myself in a situation
just because everybody says or is
doing so. What I have works.
Comments
Post a Comment
click to comment